This is our Prague Blog. Czech it out!

Being the unbelievable adventures of two young travelers in Prague and elsewhere...

Thursday, April 21, 2005

My last entry in Prague Blague

Nicole and I put together (it's a small apartment) have about fifty PragueBlague entries in the works. Problem is, I only have a week left, and she only has two. I could write them all during my stint in Austin, but will any of you care at that point about me bitching out the Astronomical Clock, or my pleas for Czech/Roma understanding? I could spend the rest of my time here doing nothing but writing blog entries and packing, but I might regret that later.

A week and I'm gone. I've been desperately longing for this moment the second I left Dallas and everything I knew behind. Yet now that the end of Prague is approaching, I don't want to leave. Everything is finally falling into place!

I have a job again. I work four hours a week, Thursday nights at Gulu Gulu, where I make upwards of five dollars an hour and feel productive and happy. I was a clapper boy on a short film starring real life Czech people. My Swedish friends Olga and Jan invite me to picnics and rock climbing bars. My writing has never been so prophetic. I've been picking up some "Cesky" phrases. Nemluvim dobry Anglitsky? Nicole taught me how to switch a Czech keyboard into an English one: alt-shift. Hannah and I are friends again, though our friendship will always be tainted by the time she pulled me out of her chair and dragged me across the floor. I actually like The Blind Eye now, even if I am still hesitant to call it, as Nicole does, the happiest place on earth. I sometimes drink beer willingly, though only dark beer, since it has more B-vitamins (this is actually quite exciting since I'd only thought there were four possible drinks available to me: water, juice, smoothies, and vodka for when I need to be talkative. Turns out there is a fifth drink, and I actually like it). I am now officially a citizen of the EU, care of Great Britain, and can work and live anywhere in the EU legally. A fat lot of good this does me with a week left in Prague! I could at least be legal at Gulu Gulu for my last night. We saw Roman Polansky and Jessica Biel, and with Elijah and Ed in town, the celebrity sightings can only double. Construction on our apartment, which mainly consists of workers banging next to our windows with hammers at 7 in the morning until it's impossible for us to go back to sleep then stopping, is almost over. The next tenents are going to have some pretty amazing window mats, without the nightmares. I still have food

And let's not forget the regrets. All the things I could have done and didn't! I haven't even been to the Prague Eiffel tower, the mirror maze, and maybe a dozen other things here. I could have spent more time with my new friends, but I felt like that would be cheating on my old friends. Now I realize that you can have old and new friends, and it's okay. But here's what really scares me: "So, what did you do in Prague?" "Yeah, man, why'd you go to Prague, what was that all about?" "Did you teach English or something?" "You must have done some pretty amazing stuff there, eh?" "You were there for three months? You must be totally fluent in Czech now." "Did you go to the Prague Eiffel Tower? Wait, why am I even asking, of course you did!" "You must be totally different now. In which ways are you different, and in which ways are you the same?" "How does your time in Europe make you feel about being an American? You must have spent a lot of time thinking about that." "Bet you took a ton of great photos! Show us your photos!" "Why so quiet, sport? Tell us about everything you did in Prague!"

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

P.S. This isn't my last entry. I was just being sensational so you all would read it. You'll know it's my last entry when you see me in person. And even then you may not know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home