This is our Prague Blog. Czech it out!

Being the unbelievable adventures of two young travelers in Prague and elsewhere...

Monday, February 28, 2005

stress and nostalgia. rambling.

for some reason (well, for several reasons), i'm feeling incredibly stressed out and also nostalgiac today.

first stress.

1. i had a long conversation with my parents yesterday (after only a few hours of sleep, which only made it worse) in which they repeatedly tried to 'motivate' me to find a job, figure out how to graduate, etc. things i've already been worrying about, but they made me worry even more about them, which i think just paralyzes me more because i'm too stressed out to be productive.

2. i can't figure out how to graduate. i wrote someone for help. i don't know if it'll work.

3. i can't figure out how to find a job. i took down the phone number of my old high school, so i guess i can call them, but first i have to figure out how to add 500kc to my cell phone so that i have enough minutes to call them. also, the internet keeps freezing. i almost started crying in frustration in the study abroad office.

4. i had a dream about my ex-boyfriend last night. he was in prague, living with a homestay family. 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? WHY DON'T YOU GO AWAY?!" i asked him, but it didn't really matter because he was here and he wasn't going away.

5. i can't figure out where to go for spring break or how to get there. i want someone else to do it for me, but then i'm worried that i'll have to take a bus to bulgaria, which would take so long. i'd rather take a train, but i can't figure out how because the internet keeps freezing. my parents want me back here on the 2nd (my dad's birthday!) when they get here, but this is very very inconvenient as it is the saturday before spring break ends and who will i find to travel on a bus back from bulgaria with me and cutting a few days off their spring break? (i don't have class till tuesday.) i'm not doing it alone. i'm not leaving anyone alone in bulgaria either. and it wouldn't really be worth it to travel all the way to bulgaria for a few days. but it would also be a shame to let the opportunity to go to bulgaria pass us by. oh yeah, by the way, i think we're trying to go to bulgaria for spring break.


okay okay. i love love my parents. they try only to do good things for me. but sometimes it works better than other times. right now i feel simultaneously guilty and paralyzed and stressed.

now nostalgia.

1. i had a dream about my ex-boyfriend last night. that'll always do it.

2. i've been listening to music that makes me think of sunshine.

3. i've been trying to graduate, which requires some e-travelling around the UT website.

4. my friend eddie's still here. he's from austin. i love austin. maybe i ought to just go live there for the rest of my life. no no. it's not where i'm meant to be

5. i had a long conversation with my parents last night. i love them. and i also miss dog.


i'm realizing that i think i need to end up somewhere sunny. although the other night i had an opposite realization and that was that i loved snow and felt like i needed to live somewhere where it snowed. maybe i just need to constantly travel.

i want some chocolate. bad. but i vowed to go one single day without it, because i haven't yet.

more on snow: i really have never so peaceful as walking through the snow alone after dark. no footprints yet. big fat snowflakes hitting your face very cold, but also you are warm enough because you're dressed appropriately. snow on the statues and on the churches to make them prettier and also covering all the ugly cars and store signs that are the only things that make prague less beautiful. prague in the snow is probably more beautiful than most other beautiful things. being alone in prague in the snow is probably more awesome than most other awesome things.

6 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi nicole,
when i moved to austin from chicago two years ago i got a job at a phone bank. two years later i still have the urge to drive by and scream fuck youuuu at the phone bank. on my last day there my manager, a short new york kind of guy with one of the belts with the rectangular, matte-silver buckles informed me that i needed to sell more, i really needed it, we, as a team, needed it, and i had it in me, he knew i did. at lunch i removed my headset and left, never to return. on my way out the receptionist with the wall-eye looked at me with the more unusual of her eyes...it seemed to say, "i was once like you, just about to leave, the ferryman bobbing only meters from my clenched fist."
my only advice about finding a job after college is that you should be patient. if you sense an abyss of despair rushing up to greet you, do not fight it off. once it begins to lick you and drool on your corduroys you realize it is actually quite like a st. bernard and just needs to pee or whatever, be loved up in the face and bald tummy. after that it will love you even if you put it in a cage every night and feed it at your convenience.

p.s. oh YEAAH, night time in europe is FULL of SKETCH ASS weirdos looking to FREAK YOU OUT!!! did i ever tell you about the jamaican in amsterdam who asked me, "you know bout the .22? you know about guns?" his finger, obscured by his jacket, resembled a .22 pistol just enough for me to get FREAKED OUT HARDCORE.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Rhys said...

i heart you sammy

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole & Rhys: I came here looking for information on coolest kid in california and found your post on stress and nostalgia. rambling.. Although it's not quite the information I was looking for, I appreciate the chance to have a read. I'll definately be checking back in. I'm off to look for more resources for coolest kid in california. If you have any more great suggestions, please post them here and I'll come back to check. Thanks again!

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stress and nostalgia. rambling. was what caught my attention. I was just out browsing around today looking for information on coolest kid in the world, and happened accross your blog. Although it's not completely related to coolest kid in the world, it certainly made me stop and ponder. Thanks for the great read Nicole & Rhys...I'll be back.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole & Rhys: I came here looking for information on the coolest kid in the world and found your post on stress and nostalgia. rambling.. Although it's not quite the information I was looking for, I appreciate the chance to have a read. I'll definately be checking back in. I'm off to look for more resources for the coolest kid in the world. If you have any more great suggestions, please post them here and I'll come back to check. Thanks again!

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking Nicole & Rhys, I was checking out sources of info on coolest kid in the world and I stumbled across your post about stress and nostalgia. rambling. that you have a great site here. I'm personally working hard at developing an online business around coolest kid in the world and I'd like to share this site with some of my own subscribers. Thanks for letting me stop by Nicole & Rhys...I'll be back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home